Sierra Baguales Trek
Discover trails with millions of years of history,
in these you can find fossils of more than 10,000 years old
Baguales mountain range is one of the few places that have been studied in relation to its unique geological composition of igneous rocks. This characteristic is what makes this place so special and of a unique beauty. The mountain range is located north of the city of Puerto Natales on the border with Argentina and is 1.200 m.a.s.l.
In this hike, it is possible to find fossils and geological formations as well as local fauna such as: guanacos, condors and baguales (herds of wild horses).
Enjoy the feeling of being in a unique place in the world. A must for photography lovers.
price: $125.000 clp
Duration 10 Hours
Minimum Pax 2*
Distance 12 km.
Download the Program
- Certified local guide and bilingual.
- Semi-private transport, seat insurance.
- Hiking Poles.
- First aid kit.
- Safety briefing.
Does not include
- Medical or other personal expenses.
- Travel insurance.
- Travel insurance.
- Box Lunch.
- Warm and comfortable clothes.
- Not suitable for pregnant women.
- Good physical conditions for the hikes.
- Sunglasses & Suncream.
- Keep medicine close, if necessary.
- Warn any dietary restrictions.
07:30 a 08:00 hrs –
Pick up at your accommodation towards Baguales mountain range.
Our tour starts at an Estancia, from where we will do a short walk of half an hour to Irene Lagoon, which is a great spot for birdwatching and photography. At this point we will also learn more about the indigenous history and the Patagonian colonisation process. Right after it we will get on our van and drive towards the start of the trail (of medium difficulty).
The trail is 12 kilometers long (7.4 miles), we will start going up and on the way it might be possible to spot some of the local fauna that live in the Bagual Mountain Range such as: pumas, guanacos and wild horses.
Our goal is to reach the lookout at 1.200 m.a.s.l (3937 ft), where we will enjoy a great panoramic view of the cordillera and the whole landscape. At this lookout point there will be some time to eat our box lunch, rest and take some photographs.
Along the trail it is possible to find marine fossils of millions of years, which means that this whole area was once a seabed.
We will start our hike back along the same way to get on our van and begin our drive back to Puerto Natales
18:00 hrs – Approximately, return to Puerto Natales.
- – Times may vary according to weather conditions and physical conditions of the passengers.
- – The excursion can be suspended due to bad weather, which implies climatic conditions such as strong winds, rain and snow.
- – Cancellation and reschedule policy will be sent by e-mail or whatsapp.
- – If you do not find availability in our online store, consult through our contact form or by WhatsApp.
- – The tour is private, minimum of people for your departure is two people**.
- – The cancellation of day trips must be made 24 hours in advance of the requested date, otherwise the reservation will be charged 100%.
- – *Departures prior confirmation minimum 4 pax.